Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fmr Rep Debbie Halverson Announces She's Running Against Rep Jesse Jackson Jr, in the new 2nd District

Former Rep Debbie Halverson, who spent one term in the US House representing the 11th Congressional district, announced today she is running again -- this time in the 2nd Congressional district, where she will face Jesse Jackson Jr. Halverson notes the new 2nd district map includes much of her former cong district, and areas she represented when she was in the state senate.

This will be an interest race to follow as it pits the Jackson family, against Halverson -- who is close to President Obama. At one time, President Obama was close to Jesse Jackson Jr, whose wife was friends with Michelle Obama, before she married the president. But today, Jackson Jr is reportedly on the outs with the President. In fact, following his recent address to Congress, the President turned his back to Rep Jesse Jackson Jr, while shaking the hands of other representatives gathered to with the president well.

Halverson no doubt has reason to believe she will have a good shot at grabbing the nomination from Jesse Jackson Jr, who she claims has been an ineffective representative for his district.

Here's a part of her announcment that she sent out to supporters:

Today, at the Skyline Restaurant in Chicago Heights, across the street from Bloom High School where both my father and I went to school, I launched our campaign to create jobs and bring real representation, real leadership and real results back to our district.

After listening to local residents talk about losing their jobs, losing their homes, or having to choose between putting food on the table and keeping their utilities on, I’ve decided that I can no longer stand on the sidelines.

Can you join me?

Working men, women and families throughout Chicago’s south side and the south suburbs have struggled for far too long. We need jobs. We need a better education for our children and grandchildren. We need better policies and stronger leadership that our district can count on.

As a lifelong resident of the Chicagoland area, I have worked here. I was a single mom raising my children and trying to make ends meet here. I understand the struggles that families are facing in our district.

Throughout my time serving our region, I have fought for the people I represent. I brought over 7,000 jobs to the area by bringing a new transportation facility to the south suburbs. I have stood up for disabled veterans and ensured they have access to VA healthcare without co-pay. I’ve advocated for seniors to make sure they didn’t have to decide between food and medications.

My track record shows that I am a strong advocate for the people in our district and I will continue to fight for you if elected to represent the 2nd Congressional District.

No comments: